Escambia County ADA Transportation is an Escambia County Area Transit (ECAT) service specifically for individuals with disabilities, who because of their disability are unable to use the ECAT fixed route service. For ADA eligible riders traveling within the ECAT service area, ADA Transportation will provide service using an ADA accessible vehicle. ADA Transportation is provided curb-to-curb or upon request, door-to-door. ECAT is responsible for the administration of this service; however the Community Transportation Coordinator (CTC) Escambia County Community Transportation provides the service in contract accordance with Escambia County.
Any person believing that he/she has been unfairly treated, or has any concern or grievance with the certification, service provisions, operation and administration of the Escambia County ADA Transportation Service shall be advised of the formal grievance procedure of Escambia County ADA Transportation and have a written copy of this grievance procedure made available to them. Formal Grievances include but are not limited to: Chronic, recurring or unresolved Service Complaints, Violations of specific rules governing ADA Paratransit service, and Suspension of Service.
Any ADA Transportation Service Complaints received by ECAT or Escambia County will be immediately investigated and every effort made to seek an appropriate and prompt resolution. By promptly identifying deficiency areas, ECAT and Escambia County will work with the ADA Transportation Service Provider to make the necessary corrections or adjustments to alleviate the situation.
Step 1: File a Grievance Form
Any and all ADA Transportation Service grievances and/or complaints shall be submitted in writing to the office of the General Manager/ADA Coordinator. Any and all grievances and/or complaints shall be filed no later than thirty (30) days after the complainant becomes aware of an alleged violation. The written documentation shall include:
- The name, address and telephone number, or e-mail address of the complainant or complainant’s representative.
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of associated witnesses;
- A narrative and/or statement, in sufficient written detail including date and time of the incident to fully define and explain the alleged violation of the ADA Transportation regulations. Any other written information or documentation to more fully explain or identify the alleged violation;
- A narrative and/or statement, in sufficient written detail, identifying proposed recommendations, from the complainant’s viewpoint, to adequately resolve the alleged violation; and
All formal ADA Transportation Service Grievances submitted to ECAT shall be mailed to:
Escambia County Area Transit
Attention: General Manager/ ADA Coordinator
1515 West Fairfield Drive
Pensacola, FL 32501
Other alternative means of filing complaints, will be made available for persons with disabilities upon request. In addition to these Grievance Procedures, a grievance/complaint may be submitted to the Escambia County ADA Coordinator at 850-595-1637 or on the web at:
Step 2: An Investigation is conducted
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall be initiated following the filing of a grievance and/or complaint. The investigation shall be under the administrative direction of the General Manager/ADA Coordinator and involve appropriate County personnel and ADA Transportation Service Provider staff as deemed necessary.
- This procedure anticipates informal but thorough investigations, affording the complainant, ADA Transportation Service Provider staff and all other interested parties and their representatives, if required, an opportunity to further explain or provide additional evidence beyond that submitted or known when the complaint was filed.
- The General Manager/ADA Coordinator, at his or her discretion, may meet in person with the complainant, ADA Transportation Service Provider staff members or other interested parties or representatives to discuss the alleged violation, the resultant investigation and any pertinent aspects of the complaint situation.
Step 3: A Written Decision is Prepared and Sent to the Complainant
- A written determination as to the validity of the written grievance and/or complaint filed along with the a description of resolution, if any, shall be issued by the General Manager/ADA Coordinator and a copy forwarded to the complainant via Certified Mail or Personal Service Delivery no later than thirty (30) days after the initial grievance or complaint filing.
- This thirty (30) day period may be extended upon the approval of the complainant and the General Manager/ADA Coordinator in instances where investigation or research requires additional time for proper grievance or complaint consideration.
- The General Manager/ADA Coordinator shall maintain the files and records of any and all ADA grievances and/or complaints filed.
Step 4: A Complainant May Appeal the Decision
The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case if he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made to the Escambia County Board of County Commissioners through the County Administrator within 10 days of the date of the resolution. The complainant should forward his/her concerns in writing with documentation concerning the complaint and disagreement with the response of the ECAT General Manager to the Board of County Commissioners through the County Administrator. The County Administrator will investigate the matter and may choose to refer the matter to the Board of County Commissioners for final action.
You may download the ECAT ADA Grievance form in PDF format HERE.
You may complete the interactive form HERE.
If you have issues downloading the form or need an alternative format, please call ECAT for assistance at 850-595-3228.
If you have a complaint for Escambia County Community Transportation, you may view their Grievance Policy HERE.
If you have issues downloading the policy or need an alternative format, please call the Escambia County Community Transportation Coordinator contact Don Christian at 850-595-3436.
ADA Transportation Grievance and Appeal Procedures
Any individual denied ADA Transportation eligibility or denied inclusion in the Escambia County ADA Transportation may appeal the determination as follows:
Any person believing that he/she has been unfairly treated, or has any concern or grievance with the certification or service provisions of the ADA Transportation, should contact the ECAT General Manager – ECAT General Manager – ADA Coordinator of Escambia County Area Transit (ECAT) either by phone or in writing, and give all information available concerning the issue. The ECAT General Manager – ECAT General Manager – ADA Coordinator will thoroughly investigate the request for appeal and/or grievance and respond to the person within ten (10) working days.
Any person not satisfied with the response of the ECAT General Manager – ECAT General Manager – ADA Coordinator, or action taken concerning the grievance, should forward his/her concerns in writing and provide all information concerning the complaint and disagreement with the response of the ECAT General Manager – ECAT General Manager – ADA Coordinator to the Board of County Commissioners through the County Administrator. The County Administrator will investigate the matter and schedule the grievance for the next appropriate Board meeting. The person will be notified of the meeting time and place and offered the opportunity to appear and present the issue to the Board of County Commissioners.