Safety & Security
Here are some safety and security tips:
- Use caution and look both ways when attempting to cross a lane of traffic. Never cross or walk in front of the bus.
- Wait for your bus on the sidewalk away from the curb and make sure it stops before approaching it.
- Wait in well-lighted areas and near other customers. At a bus stop without a shelter, wait under a street light or near a business with a lighted window.
The Police or appropriate authority will be called if you:
- Engage in illegal activities
- Engage in fighting or threaten violence
- Fail to leave the bus after having been directed to do so
- Willfully destroy or damage Escambia County Area Transit or other county property
Escambia County Area Transit has partnered with SafePlace to bring supportive resources and immediate help to youth in distress. Through Project SafePlace, our buses are a SafePlace where kids can turn to if they need help.
Our buses feature the highly recognizable SafePlace logo and our bus Operators can radio for immediate assistance to children 17 and under.
ECAT Security Technology
- All buses have GPS tracking so we know where every bus is at any given time.
- Bus Operators can respond and communicate to first responders in the event of an emergency or if they witness a crime or emergency along their routes.
- All buses have video and audio surveillance systems so we record everything that happens inside and outside the bus. The Rosa Parks terminal and Customer Service center is also equipped with surveillance systems.
If you observe suspicious behavior:
- Do record as many details as possible
- Do notify appropriate authorities as soon as possible
- Do NOT confront the individual or take direct action
- Do NOT reveal your suspicions
If you observe a suspicious object:
- Do evacuate the area to a safe distance
- Do notify authorities as soon as possible
- Do NOT touch or move suspicious objects
- Do NOT use a cell phone or radio in the direct vicinity
What to do in an emergency
If you have an emergency, immediately call 911.
Escambia County Area Transit cares about the well-bring of its passengers and all Escambia County residents. Community Awareness results in everyone’s Safety.
Trust your instincts when something does not feel right or looks out of place.
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!